The day has finally come. I’ve finally posted enough food pics on Instagram and Facebook to warrant a food blog. I’ve worked hard to get to this point, spending countless hours eating, eating, and…eating. But the hardest part of this whole process was consuming enough bacon to deserve the title of “The Bacon Princess,” which one of my dear friends and former co-workers started calling me after we jokingly made plans to someday live together in a bacon house with bacon lattice windows.
This blog is my baby, but it’s also for all of you out there: for all of my friends on social media who have put up with a whole slew of food pictures and posts, cursing me for making them hungry or kindly asking me for my recipe, and also for those of you out in cyberspace I don’t know yet but hope to connect with through food.
So without further ado, here is a baller recipe for some quinoa fried rice. Keep in mind that you can use whatever veggies you want, and you can substitute olive oil for bacon grease if you are a vegetarian. This dish can definitely be personalized.
Being gluten and dairy-free and typically trying to conquer the Paleo diet, I’m constantly thinking about how to make my meals more interesting. Because let me tell you, alternating between quinoa and spaghetti squash for dinner every night in a sad attempt to mimic the taste of carbs can make you go a little insane. Also, while the final picture below does not include bacon (I blame the great Trader Joe’s bacon famine of December 2013- why was it never there when I was there?), I’ve included it in the recipe for you all, because a bacon-less life is something I would never wish upon even my greatest of enemies.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
2 slices bacon, diced
1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
3 tablespoons gluten-free soy sauce, or to taste
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 head of broccoli, cut into florets
5-6 baby bella mushrooms, chopped
5 stalks asparagus, cut into 1/2 inch long pieces
1 cup baby spinach, chopped
1 teaspoon cumin, optional
1/2 teaspoon coriander, optional
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
salt and pepper, to taste
1. Add bacon to a large frying pan set to medium-low heat. Cooking bacon low and slow is essential to its taste- be patient!
2. Once bacon is cooked through, remove pieces from pan to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb the grease.
3. Add 1/2 tablespoon of sesame oil and spices to bacon grease.
4. Add broccoli, mushrooms, and asparagus to pan.
5. Cook veggies about 10 minutes, or until nearly done. Cover pan with lid, because a little steam action might be necessary.
6. Add spinach, and cook until wilted.
7. Crack an egg in the pan and scramble until cooked.
8. Add quinoa and cooked bacon to pan, mixing until fully incorporated.
9. Saute for about 5 minutes or until quinoa is up to temperature.
10. Add soy sauce, remaining sesame oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
11. Top with sesame seeds if you have them and enjoy!