We are big sushi lovers in our house, the type of people that when we find a sushi spot, we never go anywhere else! Our local joint makes the most delicious spicy tuna crispy rice bites, and I’ve been dying to find a reason to recreate them. Well, Wild Planet Foods tasked me with creating an elevated canned tuna recipe, and I thought it was the perfect opportunity to whip up a take on our favorite sushi restaurant appetizer!
All you need is Wild Planet Albacore Wild Tuna, avocado oil mayonnaise, sriracha, and a few spices to make the most delicious and spicy tuna salad that you can use to top your crispy rice. You’ll never know it’s canned tuna!
Spicy Tuna Salad Crispy Rice
- Small saucepan with lid
- Large glass bowl
- Small pan
- 8×8 pan
- Parchment paper
For the crispy rice
- 1 cup dry sushi rice
- 1 ½ cups water
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 3 tsp honey
- ¾ tsp sea salt
- ⅓ cup corn starch
- avocado oil (for frying)
For the tuna salad
- 2 cans Wild Planet Foods Albacore Wild Tuna
- 1 ½ – 2 tbsp sriracha
- ⅓ cup avocado oil mayonnaise
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- sesame seeds
For the crispy rice
- Rinse sushi rice until water runs clear. Transfer to pot & add water. Let soak for 30 min.
- Bring mixture to a boil. Put lid on & simmer on low for 20 min, or until done. Remove from heat & let steam for 10 min. Transfer rice to a large glass bowl.
- In a small saucepan, add rice vinegar, honey, & sea salt. Heat and stir until honey & salt have dissolved. Pour mixture onto rice and toss gently.
- Press mixture into an 8×8 pan lined with parchment paper & chill for a few hours/overnight.
- Heat ½ inch of avocado oil in a pan until hot. Cut chilled rice into 16 squares. Dust hands with corn starch & grab a square of rice. Gently form into a log, making sure rice stays compact.
- Place rice patty in oil & cook for 1-2 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Line plate with paper towels to absorb grease.
For the tuna salad and assembly
- In a bowl, add Wild Planet Foods tuna. Mash with a fork. Add sriracha, mayo, and spices, and mix until combined.
- Assemble bites by placing avocado slices on top of crispy rice. Form tuna salad into a log and place on top. Garnish with jalapeño, more sriracha, and sesame seeds.