‘Tis the season for cookies and sweets of all kinds! Santa will be pleased to know I’ve upped my cookie game this year with these gingerbread snickerdoodles made with a homemade gingerbread tincture. I used my ONGROK Botanical Infuser machine to make a spicy and warming tincture with ginger, nutmeg, cloves, cinnamon, allspice, and a hint of black pepper.
The key to most infusions is decarbing your herbs and spices, and ONGROK makes it easy with their stainless steel decarboxylation container. Simply grind your spices, place in the container, and bake in the oven on a low temperature for 25-35 minutes. Next, add your spices, along with coconut sugar and vodka to the base of your ONGROK Infuser Machine, and let it run through the tincture cycle. Strain your mixture through a Micron bag and you’re left with a delicious gingerbread tincture that instantly levels up our cookies.
In my book, the key to a good snickerdoodle is a soft and chewy texture. By adding molasses and egg yolk from the gingerbread cookie side of things, we’re able to make a beautiful cookie fusion that will excite your tastebuds this season!
Gingerbread Snickerdoodles with Gingerbread Tincture
- ONGROK 4-piece Grinder
- ONGROK stainless steel decarboxylation container
- ONGROK Botanical Infuser Machine
- ONGROK Micron Filter Bag
- ONGROK Silicone droppers
For the gingerbread tincture
- 80 g fresh ginger
- 15 g cinnamon sticks
- 5 g nutmeg
- 2 g allspice berries
- 3 cloves
- ¼ cup coconut sugar
- ⅛ tsp black peppercorns
- 1 cup vodka (or vegetable glycerin)
- 1 tbsp ONGROK Sunflower Lecithin
For the cookies
- 1 ¼ cups almond flour
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- ¼ tsp cream of tartar
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ⅓ cup + 2 tbsp coconut sugar
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- ¼ cup molasses
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp gingerbread tincture
- ¼ cup maple sugar or blonde coconut sugar (or cane sugar if not paleo)
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
For the tincture
- Preheat oven to 230℉. Chop ginger into small pieces. Grind cinnamon sticks, nutmeg, cloves, allspice berries, and black peppercorns in your ONGROK 4-piece grinder in small batches. Place everything in your ONGROK Stainless steel decarboxylation container. Close the air valve and put the lid on but do not close the latches. Let decarb in the oven for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove ONGROK stainless steel container from the oven with ONGROK silicone oven mini gloves. Open airlock by slightly pulling up on the silicon knob. Let items cool slightly.
- Transfer spices to the base of your ONGROK Botanical Infuser, along with your coconut sugar, ONGROK Sunflower Lecithin, and 1 cup vodka. Place lid on, and set the 4 hour button for tinctures, with no heat. Let the machine run through its cycle.
- Once tincture is done, filter the mixture through your ONGROK Micron Filter Bag. Let cool and transfer to dropper bottles.
For the cookies
- Increase oven temperature to 350℉ and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together almond flour, coconut flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, add coconut sugar and coconut oil. Beat the mixture until smooth with an electric mixer.
- Add molasses, egg white, and gingerbread tincture one by one, beating until incorporated in between.
- Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients.
- In a small bowl, whisk together ¼ cup maple sugar or blonde coconut sugar, ¾ tsp cinnamon, and ¼ tsp ground ginger.
- Using a 1 tbsp scoop, scoop dough and roll into a ball. Roll dough in cinnamon sugar mixture. Place on a baking sheet, making sure cookies have room to expand. Do not flatten.
- Bake cookies for 8-10 minutes, or until just firm around the edges. Remove from oven and let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Then, transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.